She was being recognised amidst her colleagues for doing so well in the just concluded oratory competition, not too long Francis; her study partner threw a big hug around her as he started giving her great accolades "you've done so well" "like I'm so awed at your excellent performance", he continued you know I told you, that you gonna do great; chuckles😊


So, I did great?  I didn't know, I just do feel, I'm not so prepared or I just want to be there in my space, hmmmm, I don't even know if you understand my point!

You actually remembered the likes of Carl, Benita and co that we compete together the last time, I really envy their intelligence, so I just felt I should just be part of this since our class teacher won't let me be, and you especially...


Hey, I know where your conversation Is heading to; won't you stop feeling this way, at least for once?

_________________________

Many a times most of us feel this way, around 25 to 30 percent of high achievers may suffer from this kind of feelings and around 70 percent of adults experience such too.


This kind of feeling is named Imposter syndrome. 


Those with this syndrome think they are undeserving of their achievements and the high esteem in which they are being held. They feel that they aren’t as competent or intelligent as others might think.


Instead of acknowledging their capabilities as well as their efforts, they often attribute their accomplishments to external or transient causes, such as luck, good timing, or effort that they cannot regularly expend. Whether in the areas of academic achievement or career success, a person can struggle with pressure and personal expectations.

The major causes can be self awareness, Fear and  perfectionism.

Fine, you say you know your identity but how come fear keeps creeping in, in the Holy Scriptures, it's written in there that we've not been given the spirit of fear but of Love, Power and Sound mind.

So enough of thinking that particular success or your expertise in your field or career is a luck or mistake, and it's God's doing and your cooperate effort which births result.


Few solutions to it can be:

📍 Change your mindset and your abilities.

📍Focus on measuring your achievements, don't compare.

📍 Do not put unnecessary pressure on yourself to be perfect at all cost.


Being on a low key can be mistaken to imposter syndrome. Changes can be made to this aspect, let not this syndrome deprive you of so many doors to greater opportunities ahead. Be proud of yourself, achievements and feel good about it.


Thanks for reading through.


I'm glad seeing your comments.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Before Nysc

On writing well (3)

Treasure